Video SEO optimization is one of the best ways to connect with a target market, increase traffic, and improve search results, particularly for auto dealers. Studies have shown that 61% of auto purchasers visited a dealership after viewing videos, and 80% said that video introduced them to a brand they had not previously considered. Unlike web pages, however, videos do not contain text that can be read by Google. Here are the top five tips for improved video SEO optimization.
- Decide on a video’s marketing function. Does the video add SEO to your website, perform branding and content distribution, or both? Google ranks YouTube video content more highly than self-hosted video content, but it only helps website SEO indirectly, through YouTube backlinks and limited traffic flow from the video page. Self-hosted video can have a better impact on website SEO, but it will probably get less exposure than a YouTube video. It is, of course, possible to try out both, to determine which offers the most desirable results for your campaign.
- Upload the video and label the content thoroughly. On YouTube, use long tail keywords chosen from your SEO campaign, with the most important keywords placed at the front of the title. Include a detailed description of the video, with links to your website, social media accounts, or other contact points.
- Submit your content directly to Google. While YouTube is integrated with the search engine, non-YouTube content should be submitted through Webmaster Tools to ensure speedy indexing. Also consider placing a robots.txt file on each page with video content, and include embed code that tell Google there is a video on that page.
- Add captions, transcripts, annotations, and create playlists. Every piece of text that can get read by Google does get read. More details make your video more relevant and useful in the eyes of both Google and YouTube. This type of optimization helps increase a video’s visibility.
- Remember that video content does not have to be camera footage. Google considers formats such as Adobe Flash or QuickTime to be videos, even if they are slideshows or PowerPoint presentations.
A recent study has shown that one in three millenials (age 18-34) watch video almost exclusively online, and that number continues to grow every year. Reaching your target audience through video SEO optimization is quickly becoming a vital element of any marketing campaign. Publication of videos on YouTube or a self-hosted website is free and easy, so it is hard not to see the benefits of product promotion through video content. So, go for it and improve your Video SEO strategy today!